You can start making your own songs using the Mix Editor as soon as you sign up!
The Mix Editor is BandLab's online digital audio workstation, where you can create projects as long as 15 minutes, with the ability to layer up to 16 audio and MIDI tracks.
Here are some simple steps to get you started:
To record using BandLab on your computer's browser; log in to your account, or sign up at www.bandlab.com. Once logged in:
- Click on at the top-right corner of the page to create a new project
- You will be prompted to the New Track screen where you can choose from these nine options to start with:
- Import Audio/MIDI - Import audio or MIDI files from your computer
- Browse Loops - Browse our Loop Pack library, sorting them by genres and instruments you're interested in
- After creating the track, make sure to key in your project's Name, Key, Tempo, Time Signature and adjust the Metronome Settings, at the top of the Mix Editor:
- Before recording:
i. Click at the bottom-left corner of the Mix Editor
ii. Select the desired input source
iii. Test the input (You will know everything is set when the volume meter is moving)
- Once everything is set, click on Record at the top (shortcut R) to start recording. Click Record again or hit Spacebar on your keyboard to stop recording
- Once done, click on Save or Publish at the top-right corner of the screen to save your project privately or immediately publish your project to your feed!
To record using the BandLab iOS/Android Apps:
- Tap on the Create button at the bottom of the screen
- You will be prompted with the Let's Make Music screen where you can choose what kind of track you want to start with:
- Import Track - Upload your MP3, M4A or WAV file
- Sampler - Create your own Sampler Kits by selecting or recording your own sounds
- Voice/Mic - Record any sound via microphone or a connected audio interface
- MIDI Instruments - Access virtual instruments such as drums, piano, synths, strings, and woodwind!
- Looper - Make dope beats by using our Looper interface. Layer sounds by adding guitars, FX, bass, and beats that can be downloaded from our Sound Packs library
- Guitar or Bass - Plug in a guitar to use BandLab as an amp - this will require some sort of portable audio interface similar to the BandLab Link Analog
- To start recording, choose Voice/Mic and you can record using the built-in mic on your phone
- Record something by tapping on Record at the bottom of the screen. This will be your first track
- Tap the arrow at the top-right corner of the panel to bring you back to the Track View
- To add more tracks, tap Add Track beneath the first track
- Once you're done, tap and hold the Sync icon at the top-right corner of the screen to Save your project privately or Publish your project to your feed!
Here's a GIF with the exact steps:
Where can I find more BandLab tutorials?
Additionally, check out the tutorials in our Blog here.
Last but not least, we've added a Mix Editor tutorial under Help > Show Tutorial which will walk you through each of the Mix Editor elements!