You’re now a BandLab user and you can’t wait to get started. Let's dive in!
The Mix Editor is BandLab's online digital audio workstation, where you're able to create projects as long as 6 minutes, with up to 12 tracks.
Here are some simple steps to get you going:
To record using BandLab on the web, make sure you are logged into your account or sign-up at www.bandlab.com.
- Click on the Red + Create button to create a new project.
- You will be prompted to the New Track screen where you can choose from these seven options:
- Instruments - Use your keyboard or a MIDI controller to play our selection of virtual instruments
- Drum Machine - Create beats and rhythms with our built-in drum machine
- Voice/Mic - Record your voice or any other sounds
- Guitar - Plug in a guitar to use BandLab as an amp
- Bass - Plug in a bass to use BandLab as an amp
- Import Audio/MIDI - Import audio or MIDI files from your computer
- Browse Loops - Browse our Loop Pack library, sorting them by genres and instruments you're interested in
- After creating the track, make sure to key in your project's Name, Key, Tempo, Time Signature and adjust the Metronome Settings:
- Before getting started with recording, make sure to test the input under the Source setting at the bottom left corner of the Mix Editor. You will know that everything is set when the volume meter is moving.
- Once everything is set, click on the Red Record Button (shortcut R) to start recording. Click the Red Record Button again to stop recording (shortcut Enter).
- After recording, save the project by clicking on the Save button at the top right corner of the screen.
To record using the BandLab iOS/Android Apps:
- Tap on the Red + Button at the bottom of the screen
- You will be prompted with the Let's Make Music screen where you can choose what kind of track you want to start with:
- Import Track - Upload your MP3, M4A or WAV file.
- Voice/Mic - Record any sound via microphone or a connected audio interface
- MIDI Instruments - Access virtual instruments such as drums, piano, synths, strings, and woodwind!
- Looper - Make dope beats by using our Looper interface. Layer sounds by adding guitars, FX, bass, and beats that can be downloaded from our Sound Packs library
- Guitar or Bass - Plug in a guitar to use BandLab as an amp - this will require some sort of portable audio interface similar to the BandLab Link Analog
- To start, choose Voice/Mic and you can record using the built-in mic on your phone
- Record something by tapping on the Red Record Button. This will end up being your first track.
- Tap the Arrow Down Icon on the top right to bring you back to the track view
- To add more tracks, tap the + Icon beneath the first track
- To save, tap the Cloud Icon at the top right of the screen. You can choose if you want to Save or Publish.
- Here you can name your project, add a description, choose if you want to allow Forks or not and if you want to move the song to a band.
Where can I find more BandLab tutorials?
Additionally, check out the tutorials in our Blog here.
Last but not least, we've added a Mix Editor tutorial under Help > Show Tutorial which will walk you through each of the Mix Editor elements!